Minimum of 20 hours a month. $300 stipend per newspaper edition (10 edition per year).
- Develops and edits The Metropolitan’s opinion page
- Works with editor-in-chief and faculty advisor to formulate editorial policy
- Recruits guest opinions from students, staff, faculty and community members
- Provides training and developmental editing for student opinion writers
- Collects and edits letters to the editor
- Fields questions and comments from readers concerning the opinion page
- Writes at least one editorial or article per month
- Attends staff meetings and trainings
- Leadership or supervisory experience
- Persuasive writing style; strong editing and proofreading skills
- Interest and engagement in higher education, public policy and current events
- Familiarity with Associated Press (AP) style
- Suggested courses: COMM 103 Public Speaking, WRIT 371 Editing
Candidates must be current Metropolitan State University students. To apply, prepare a cover letter, resume and a short persuasive writing sample. Send from your student email address to TheMetropolitan@metrostate.edu by Friday, November 16.